Saturday, July 9, 2011

Slowing Down

I have returned from a trip up east to visit New England, my birth place! The trip was wonderful and my son, now 8 weeks old, really enjoyed himself. It was a week full of firsts for him; first long road trip, first swim in the pool, first boat ride and swim in the CT river at Hamburg Cove, first trip on a metro train, first trip into a city (the Bronx), first trip to a zoo! He is now exhausted and has been sleeping long hours through the night and the day. Luckily this gives my husband and me some time to ourselves!
Everything has me thinking-I’m thinking about poetry. Poetry came easy to me last year. It poured out of me. I’m not saying it was good. Just that it poured. Like Morton salt. It seems tougher to write now. I have to slow down to write poetry...slow down.

Slowing down
to think and to write...
slowing down
to appreciate the day
and the night
slowing down
to catch up
relax and breathe

Learning to live slowly is a difficult thing in this day and age!

No comments: