Monday, November 5, 2012

Pseudonym, Digital Art,Projects & Then Some...

Yes, the autumn winds bring great change. As many people know, I have come to a point in my creative career where I can shift gears and focus more on doing the stuff I love doing, horses, photography, digital, and traditional work. I have spent the last year steadily rebuilding my portfolio to showcase the direction I am going with my work.

I am no longer, as of 2013, doing commercial work outside of the equine industry, that is to say, I will not be doing gaming and concept design and illustration work that is focused in that genre. Since returning to my photography and fine art endeavors full time and finding a demand for my work, both in the traditional and digital mediums, I have taken a leap of faith to pursue what I love; anything that involves creativity and horses, animals, and fantasy, whether it be by camera, paintbrush, or computer.

I can now focus on creating consitent bodies of artwork in the areas I enjoy that are entirely of my own point of view (from my heart), and not what I am told to do by an art director, etc. My personal fantasy work is an area I am expanding upon and will be licensing usage permissions within the commercial market. But I am in control of the images and what I am creating and who gets to use them.

Many people know that I have been quietly and consistently creating photo based mixed media/digital art for my collectors for the last 10-12 years. But due to a "conflict of interest" circumstance with a previous job, I haven't gone out of my way in openly advertising such works or my illustration and have been working under a pseudonym since 2002.

I am now free to work as I wish, but I am keeping my "art" name as that is the name most people, clients, customers know me by, and I like it. In all actuality, it isn't that far off from my real name anyways. My first name is Lyndsey, however I use my middle, namesake, as my last name. There is a rather long winded story behind this and I really don't feel like writing it all out. If you ever meet me in person, we can talk!

Now that I have come out of "hiding" I am starting to show my work more in the "fine" art world and equine art world. I have done a lot of shows within the digital art world and this is due partly because digital art still gets overwhelmingly snubbed by the "fine art" or as some say, "high" art world. One of my personal goals is to assist in elevating digital art into the "higher" realm. I want people to realize that it is legitimate, it is in fact an art form and a medium, and I want them to see how versatile a medium digital art (on a whole) truly is.

People who see my digital based work in person, and not just online, are blown away way with it. They cannot believe that my pieces have their roots in digital media. Which, as an illustrator on the commercial market, always blows me away, because what I am doing has been done in this realm of art since the advent of photoshop. These techniques are now suddenly hitting the photography world and people are going stir crazy with it.

I have to laugh at this phenomenon, as its old news to me. Using textures in photography is as old as the art of photography itself and isn't something that is "new" to the practice since the digital age entered the picture. Processing images isn't just a digital thing either, some of us who studied in the "film" age remember spending hours upon hours, dodging, burning, piecing, blocking, playing with multiple exposures etc to get many of the same results photographers are getting with Photoshop. Its just a hell of a lot easier now! Its rather unfortunate to realise there are a lot of people in the industry who do not have the historical knowledge of photography, and don't realize that A LOT of what they are doing digitally can in fact be done in camera or outside of the computer.

Enough on that rant, I am really writing to let you know that this blog is in the process of being merged with the Glass Eyed Pony Photography blog. I have decided it is going to be a lot easier for me just to maintain one studio blog, and since GEPP is essentially a subsidiary of SHS, it makes it easier for me and less time consuming to maintain one official blog.

That's it for now!
Lyndsey

Current projects I am working on:

*Finishing the last Spookie Shoot Sessions that got pushed around due to Sandy.
*Two upcoming Faerie"Tails" sessions that I can't wait to get started on.
*New Logo for Windsor Farm
*A handful of commissions
*Processing Images of the Goshen Opening Hunt (my personal portfolio work)
*Model Shoots
*Working on the online shop
*Shooting artist reference stock
*And adding the final editing touches on the first Tutorial video






No comments: