Friday, October 25, 2013

A 50 Morning March: Fall 2013

I spend a lot of time with my son. I am balancing a workload with motherhood pretty much on a solo basis. I do have the help of Montessori Daycare three time a week which helps me immensely stay on task and keep my work flow going. Its not easy and because of it I have really started to appreciate the role single parents play in the lives of their children.

I make a great effort to have my son participate in what I have come to call, "The 50 Morning March". On the two days a week where I have him all day, we eat our yummy breakfast and then head out into the wilds on a morning walk. I carry my camera outfitted in a 50mm lens (my most cherished and beloved lens I own). Of course my 2.5 year old toddler, Connor, carries a camera too! His is an old rebel outfitted with a cheap lens.

He is allowed to take pictures, which matter of fact, are quite interesting. While he doesn't yet have an understanding of composition he has an awareness of interesting things to shoot. His favorite being puddles, though I haven't yet figured out if its the reflections he like or the fact he is waiting for me to turn my back so he has a quick shot of jumping into the puddles he finds along our adventures.

We live up in the furnace mountain area of Taylorstown Virginia, nestled deep in the rural landscape of Loudoun County Virginia, a county of Northern Virginia and part of the DC Metro area. Surrounded by forests teaming with deer and fields full of Angus and or Belted Highlander, sheep, goats, pigs, and horses; there is always something new and interesting to find during our adventures.

I am making an effort to post some shots from each Month, starting with this month of October 2013. Please enjoy! I highly encourage all parents to find some "magic" time to explore the great outdoors with their children. We are continually stuck in a "human" world where we are constantly plugged into computers, cell phones, Ipods, Ipads, etc. etc. Its nice to get away and just adventure into the realm of nature!











1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good read...and I like hearing about people who like their children! love that he has his own camera and I must say, he is growing up way too fast~looking forward to more blogs about single parenthood and life in the mountains...